Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Macaron Day! :)

C'EST LE JOUR DU MACARON, TOUT LE MONDE!!
Well that would've been effective if I finished this blog post yesterday :\  But other than that, hope everyone had a fun day yesterday, whether or not you celebrated Macaron day :)

Although Australia doesn't really celebrate it like New York City or have Jour du Macaron edition macarons like Pierre Pierre Hermé's, I decided to celebrate it with a friend, Kim from Eat Me Tidbits :)

So, this morning, I went on a 2 hour quest for a few macarons from 3 different shops around Sydney city :)  And exams are all done, but it's all back in the endless cycle of working hard, but I still had heappps of fun yesterday!

My entire trip is in red (excluding trip back to school):

 Getting to Central at 7.50am and arriving at school at 9.50 (thank goodness for a double free!!), my first stop? Cre Asion.  It’s in Alberta Street, it’s in a small alleyway –like street, you can’t see Cre Asion from outside. 
It’s a small and cosy place, but the design is very nice.  The 2 people who served me were very nice, but kinda shy as well.

The atmosphere is quite nice, and corner-shop like, except I reckon it’s a bit hidden from the main streets.  Their macarons are the cheapest out of all the macarons I bought today, but in size, they were also the smallest.  Their prices have now changed from previous blog posts that I’ve seen.  One piece is $2.70, and they do sell boxes of macarons too.  A small box of 8 = $21 (saving you 60c), a medium box of 12 = $31 (saving you $1.40), and a big box of 18 = $45 (saving $3.60)
Their faint logo on the paper bag I got.
Next stop, Lindt! 
Kim’s tried from Lindt: strawberry, vanilla, milk choc, excellence 70%, pistachio, champagne, and hazelnut, and we were wanting to try the apple cinnamon, but Lindt has a rang of what they call their "seaonal delices".  I love it how they call their macarons "delices", haha, determined to be different, I see.  And they ARE different.  Their macaron price trumps Zumbo's awesome ones, being $3 a delice.  However, Lindt does compensate in size, they're slightly bigger than Cre Asion's.
3rd stop, GUYLIAN @ DARLING QUARTER :) Yes! I was determined to go back, the guy there was very nice to us, and gosh those macarons, yummmm :)
I went over to the far left of the counter this time; WOW THEY EVEN MADE CAKES OMG yummm :)
Just look at that amazing decor and perfect roundness of each.  Now if I could just get my hands on one of them...
 Mmmmm, treasure chests of golden eggs!
Fiona enjoyed this pastry so much, she requested I buy her another!
All fresh and ready to serve! I think this is a sample plate :)
Remember this guy? :) He happened to work yesterday as well! I had a short chat to him, and his name is Leo :)  Trust me, if you get a chance to go Guylian @ Darling Quarter, this guy gives you wonderful service!  He remembered me, and asked me how my macarons from last time were. 
 Each macaron is $2.80, and the size is also slightly bigger than Cre Asion's. 
Time to return to school, and call Kim out to take photos, hahahaaa :)
Credits to Kim for these 2 lovely photos!
Just look at the thick servings of ganache, and the blueberry/lavendar one on the bottom left corner even has a little cute blueberry in the centre! 
I ate 3 first, and then the bell rang for class, and I was told that I was getting my Maths paper back :\ but the other 3 half macarons cheered me up afterwards :)

Top left: Tonka Bean from Cre Asion - I've never tasted Tonka Bean before, so I didn't know what to expect.  A quick Wiki afterwards said that it's got flavours of vanilla, almond and a few other spices (cinnamon and cloves).  Hmm, pretty interesting.
Bottom left: Blueberry Lavendar from Cre Asion - Well, they didn't actually have a name for this macaron, so I had to ask for its flavours.  The colours are quite nice though, don't you think? 
Top middle: Blackcurrant Delice from Lindt  - Love that deep purple colour.
Bottom middle: Passion Delice from Lindt - What a lovely vibrant yellow this is!
Top right: Mocha Macaron from Guylian - Simplistically decorated, but still got style :)
Bottom right: Jaffa Macaron for Guylian - My maths teacher was like "Whoa that's a really intense colour, isn't it?" Hahahaha, cheers to eating in maths class :)
I think I'm just obsessed with staring at these lovely things :) We each got half of each macaron to taste, sharing is caring!
Oooh yes, and the brioche :) A normal pastry prettily presented, and tastes awesome as well.
Tasting - in the order I ate it:
 Blackcurrant delice: quite an intense blackcurrant jam-my puree flavour
Lavendar and blueberry: there's a very mild whiff of lavender. The blueberry is sweet, with a tiny kick of sour, which I really like.  And half a blueberry we each got :)
Passion delice:  OMG! Total passionfruit intense flavour sweet but definitely got that fruity punch!
Tonka bean: I thought the taste was a bit strange, I get that people would like it, but I didn't like the flavour.  It smelt of these mild spices, don't think I'm up for it just yet.  
Mocha macaron: The shell was slightly chewier than the rest of the macarons (but maybe that's only because I left it for longer than the others), and the shell isn’t as crunchy, but the mocha flavour definitely shows through, loved the creamy consistency of ganache with that warm bitter coffee smell, and cheers to a generous serving of ganache :)
Jaffa macaron: Like the colour, the orange flavour was really intense.  You know that feeling when you drink Sunkist and you feel gas climbing up your nose? Because eating this was kinda like a degassed version of this, love the taste.

So that was 17 bucks worth of macaron-y awesomeness!  Hopefully I could go on another round soon, hopefully I could taste one of Zumbo's soon :

(Blogpost edited 29/12/12)

5 comments:

  1. Take me with you next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm my brioche. nice macarons tiba!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fml i typed 'tuba' first and changed it to 'tiba' instead of tina :(

      Delete
  3. As obvious as it is, I have to say it! That's a lot of macaroons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and ps congrats on finishing all your exams!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment below, I really appreciate it!! :)