Monday, 13 February 2012

Recipe: Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirl Bars

This is the first time I've actually been bothered doing something for Valentine's Day.  We used to sell roses at my school, but that plan was abolished in the recent few years, so I can't resort to buying roses for my friends anymore.  My best friend suggested that we should do something this Valentine's Day, and hand-make things for each other, so I had to stay away from the favourites of roses and chocolate boxes and try to think of something I could make :)

I came across this recipe a few days ago, and I've told myself that I'll definitely bake it for V-day!!

Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirl Bars

Adapted from Food Network’s Sunny Anderson


Red Velvet Brownie Bar layer:
  • 110g unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 tablespoon red food coloring
  • 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose/plain flour
Cream cheese layer:
  • 220g (8 oz) cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Just a side note - I recently bought this mini kitchen scale from Daiso Japan in Chatswood, the store that sells everything for $2.80 each!! This scale has 20g increments going up to 1kg, and it's not all that accurate, but it's better than the other set of kitchen scales i have at home that goes up by 100g increments.  I better get myself an eletronic balance soon :)
Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 180oC. Line a 20x20cm baking dish with baking paper or foil, and brush with butter or use cooking spray.  
2. In a medium bowl (you will have to whisk eggs in it later), combine melted butter with sugar and mix well. Add vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food colouring, and vinegar in that order, mixing between additions.
Butter and sugar, mixed with a sptula.  I used caster sugar.
Batter with flour and egg added.
Adding flour and fold.
 3. Whisk in the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each. Fold in the flour. Pour all batter except 1/4 cup into prepared baking pan (I didn’t follow this step properly, instead of ¼ cup, I saved around 1 cup worth, and so my swirls aren’t that prominent)

Whisked egg, and tada!
4. To make the cream cheese layer, blend together the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla.
Cream cheese layer
5. Spread the cream cheese on top of brownie batter. Drop dollops of remaining brownie batter over cream cheese layer and using a knife, swirl through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern.
Swirls :) Not very good ones though, but I'll get it better next time!
6. Bake for around 30 minutes in preheated oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. 

And here is my completed product:
All ready, packed in the box, for my Valentine's tomorrow :)
Note: these pictures were taken using 2 different cameras, and yes the lighting is terrible for some of them, so I'm very sorry about that, I'm still a learner with photography, let alone food photography.  Credits to my dad for letting me borrow his pro camera (Canon 60D), and my grandma for helping me when I needed it :)
(Blogpost edited 29/12/12)

1 comment:

  1. Wow these look really pretty! I love the vibrant colours!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment below, I really appreciate it!! :)